Friday, March 8, 2013

Three Pounds! (Itchy, itchy itchy.)

In our second-to-last growth scan yesterday we learned that the babies weigh about 3 pounds each (one just over and one a tiny bit under). This is very good news. When we set out on this journey, the goal weight we had in our heads was 1500 grams and they are currently measuring 1320 and 1380 grams. Tomorrow I will be 30 weeks pregnant and in 19 days (if all keeps going well)1 these babies will be born.

There is much to be excited about and grateful for and I need every bit of distraction I can get as I am itching so badly I would like to remove my skin. I have two weeks and three and a half days to survive the itch until the babies are born. If this rash is anything like the one I had in my last pregnancy, it should go away right after the babies are born. Please keep your fingers crossed that this is the case.

Apparently, I am a magnet for rare pregnancy conditions. The rash, called PUPPS, happens to about 1% of pregnant women. It is a bit of a mystery, but probably has something to do with hormones and/or severe stretching of skin. And, monoamniotic twins happen in about 1% of identical twins. I am the 1% and I am not sure I like it.

In other news, I have had two lovely roommates since my nightmare roommate was moved down the hall. The first was here for twin to twin transfusion surgery and the second was here for a blood transfusion for her baby while in-utero. Both surgeries were successful and I will continue to hope that things go well for both families. I had many great conversations with my roommates and their husbands/boyfriends. It was really nice. The second roommate left this afternoon and I have my room to myself again, which will also be nice. One of the midwives told me that there are not currently any plans for the other bed in my room. We will see what the next two weeks bring.

I sometimes glimpse my nightmare roommate down the hall. Today two of her ashtray visitors walked by and I got a whiff of them and felt enormously thankful that they weren't headed to my room.

And so, the hospital adventure continues. I am hoping for two quick, uneventful and minimally itchy weeks. The sun has been shining in Denmark and when the sun is out, I always feel that anything is possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment